i
Report an error   
Advanced Search


Health and safety practices of janitorial personnel In University Of Cebu Medical Center.

Author

Dennis Justin M. Alvarez,
Mary Antonette L. Aquino,
Rodela N. Bation,
Judge Jan R. Diaz,
Flordelis F. Enjambre,
Maria Odessa R. Eslet,
Pamela Therese A. Lim,
Maureen B. Mendez,
Thirza Denise D. Quioco,
Jerabelle Marie D. Revilles

Related Institution

College of Medicine - University of Cebu - Banilad Campus - University of Cebu

Publication Information

Publication Type
Thesis/Dissertations
Thesis Degree
MD
Specialization
MEDICINE
Publication Date
June 2018

Abstract

INTRODUCTION: Statistics show that a hospital is one of the most hazardous places to work. Thus, health and safety practices of the janitorial personnel in a hospital is a top priority. Training in health and safety should ensure that workers know and understand the potential risks associated with health-care waste, the value of personal hygiene, the precautionary measure in handling potentially hazardous substances, and the importance of immunization and of consistent use of personal protective equipment (PPE)


METHODS: The study determined the health and safety practices including the different factors such as the sociodemographic profile of the respondents and their awareness and knowledge about proper health and safety practices using the Descriptive Survey design.


RESULTS: The janitorial personnel were mostly female age 31-35. Most, have been working in University of Cebu Medical Center (UCMed) for less than a year and works more than four shifts a week. About 93% agree that they should perform hand hygiene after being exposed to fluids and 88% agree that they should perform hand hygiene after being in the immediate vicinity of the patients. Most, change their gloves before (93%) and after (95%) coming into contact with the patient;s surroundings. Around 41% are immunized for at least one type of communicable disease while the remaining 59% does not remember or have no immunization. Of all the immunizations that they have, most of the respondents had tetanus immunization (16%).


CONCLUSION: Most of the respondents follow the hand hygiene protocol set by the World Health Organization (WHO). There is also high adherence to the use of PPE and proper waste disposal. However, problem arise with their immune status for many of them either does not remember or have no immunization at all.

References

1. Ferris, R.W , Murphy, D. . "Definations, statistics,a nd the occupational safety and health administration" Workplace safety , 3-17,
2. Pedroja, A . "The tipping point: the relationship between volume and patient harm" American Journal of medical quality 23(5): 336-341, 2008
3. Wilburn, S.Q , Eijkemans, G . "Preventing needlestick injuries among healthcare workers: a WHO-ICN collaboration" International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health 10(4): 451-456, 2004
4. Owusu, J , Prapasin, P , Ditsungnoen, D . "Seasonal influenza vaccine coverage among high-risk population in Thailand 2010-2012" Vaccine 2015 33, 742-747, 2015
5. Linda, A , Mundy, M . "Factors associated with health care-associated 2009 influenza A (H1N1) virus infection among Thai health care workers" Clin Infect Dis 51(3): 367-368, 2010
6. Manual on health care waste management. Manila: 2011. 124-126.
7. Hicks, D . (2016, November 30). Hospital vleaning role in preventing infections. . Retrieved from: http://info.debgroup.com/blog/bid/236672/hospital-s-cleaning-role-in-preventing-infections
8. (2011, November 30). Principles of epidemiology in public health practice. Center for disease control and prevention. . Retrieved from: http://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/hand-hygiene-breaking-the-chain-infection
9. Oughton, M , Loo, V , Dendukuri, N . Hand hygiene with soap and water is superior to alcohol rub and antiseptic wipes for removal of clostridium difficile. Infection Control & Hospital Epidemiology 2009. 939-944.
10. (2013, November 30). Preventing occupational exposures to antineoplastic and other hazardous drugs in health care settings. Department of health ad human services. . Retrieved from: http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2004

Physical Location

LocationLocation CodeAvailable FormatAvailability
University of Cebu - School of Medicine T/Ba32he/2018/c.2 Abstract Print Format
University of Cebu - School of Medicine T/Ba32he/2018/c.1 Abstract Print Format

 
Loading…
©2021 HERDIN PLUS. All rights reserved.